When you are seriously injured in an automobile accident, the last thing you may want to think about is the monetary compensation that you are entitled to. Taking legal action may be an annoyance, especially if you have been seriously hurt and want to solely concentrate on healing your injuries. However, if you are injured and need extensive medical treatment, it means that you will also incur large medical bills. Racking up medical bills can be even more financially draining if you are unable to work due to your injuries.
While you may not be able to turn back time and undo the accident that caused your injuries, taking legal action will bring a sense of justice and some financial relief. In order to obtain the full compensation that you deserve, you need to make sure that you take certain steps after the car accident to preserve your legal rights. This article discusses the five important things you need to do after an accident.
- Pull over and call 911. When you are involved in a car accident, you need to immediately pull over out of the line of traffic, if possible. If you or anyone else involved in the accident is seriously injured, you should call 911.
- Exchange information. Without sufficient information about the parties involved in the accident, it may be difficult to hold the right parties accountable for your injuries and obtain the full compensation that you deserve. You should make sure to exchange names, address, telephone number, insurance information and driver’s license information with all of the parties involved in the accident. If there are any witnesses to the accident, you should obtain their personal information as well.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident. As the saying goes, pictures are worth a thousand words. The details of the accident scene, such as damage to all of the cars involved in the accident, skid marks and the surrounding scene of the accident, is especially important if liability is disputed.
- Seek medical treatment. Even if you think that you are not seriously injured immediately after the accident, you should still seek medical treatment. Symptoms of certain medical conditions may not surface until days or weeks after an accident.
- Consult with an experienced car accident attorney. It is in your best interest to consult with an attorney to protect your legal rights. When you hire a good attorney, you can be confident that your attorney will handle the legal aspects of your claim while you concentrate on healing your injuries.
Call a New York Car Accident Attorney Today
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a car accident that was caused by the reckless actions of another party, you may have a valid personal injury claim and may be entitled to monetary compensation. For more information or to consult with one of our experienced New York City Car Accident Lawyers, please call Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. at 1-800-529-9997.