New York Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
Injured In a Pedestrian Accident? We Can Help!
Pedestrian accidents in New York are all too common. Unfortunately, many drivers fail to yield the right of way to pedestrians, resulting in serious accidents. According to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, approximately 16,500 pedestrian related automobile accidents were reported in 2013. More than 340 of these accidents resulted in fatalities.
If you or a loved one was seriously injured as a pedestrian, the attorneys at Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. can help. We have successfully represented thousands of injured victims for over 25 years. We are aggressive, yet compassionate, in fighting for the rights of our clients when they are injured in pedestrian accidents caused by the negligence or recklessness of other parties.
Top 10 Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
The streets of New York are notoriously crowded with busy pedestrians and frustrated motorists trying to maneuver the roads. Such frustration all too often results in a pedestrian-related accident that can cause serious injuries to the victims.
Below is a list of common causes of motor vehicle accidents involving pedestrians:
- Driver inattention and distraction
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Backing up unsafely
- Unsafe speed or reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or other controlled substances
- Disregarding traffic signals
- Aggressive driving
- Driver inexperience
- Passing lanes improperly
- Pedestrian confusion
Regardless of what caused your pedestrian accident, our law firm is ready to protect your legal rights. We have recovered over $750 million for our injured clients. Our successful track record of helping people injured in pedestrian accidents in both New York and New Jersey areas demonstrates our hard work and dedication to holding the responsible parties accountable for your injuries and damage.
Compensation Available to Pedestrian Accident Victims
The extent of the injuries suffered by a pedestrian involved in a motor vehicle accident can be catastrophic. Victims often need extensive and expensive medical treatment and rehabilitation to care for their injuries. Such care can significantly impact the victim’s financial livelihood.
At Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C., we will fight to protect your legal rights and help you obtain compensation for any expenses related to your accident. When necessary, we will consult with medical economists and life care planners to determine the full extent of the injuries you have suffered. Depending on the specific facts of your case, you may be entitled to various types of compensation, including:
- Past and future medical and hospital bills
- Loss of wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish and therapy bills
- Any other out of pocket expenses you may have incurred resulting from the accident
Common Injuries Suffered by Pedestrian Accident Victims
Even the slightest impact by a motor vehicle can seriously injure a pedestrian. The massive weight of even the smallest car is no match for the delicate frame of a human body. Some of the most common injuries suffered by pedestrians in automobile related accidents include:
- Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injury
- Neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries, such as paralysis
- Broken or fractured bones
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Severe bruising
- Emotional trauma
The cost associated with such injuries can be significant. The NYC attorneys at our law firm sympathize with our injured clients and will aggressively fight to help obtain the financial compensation they are entitled to for the injuries they have suffered.
Steps to Take After a Pedestrian Accident
The steps you take immediately following an accident can directly impact the outcome of your personal injury claim. Below are some important steps you should take if you were injured as a pedestrian in an automobile accident:
- Call 911. Report the accident to the police, sheriff or highway patrol, regardless of how severe the accident was.
- Obtain important information. Get the names, addresses, phone numbers and license plate numbers of everyone who was involved or saw the accident take place.
- Document the scene of the accident. Take pictures of the scene if possible as well as any damage done to vehicles or objects.
- Do not admit fault or apologize for your actions. In general, it is best for you not to talk to anyone (especially an insurance adjuster) about the accident or your injuries until you have consult with an experienced attorney.
- Do not sign any documents. It is equally important not to sign any documents without consulting with an attorney.
- Get medical attention. Seek the necessary medical attention. Also be aware that after an accident, you may be tempted to forgo seeing a doctor because the adrenaline could be masking some of your injuries or symptoms. Report any memory problems, confusion or disorientation, however minor these things may seem at the time.
- Contact an attorney. You should immediately consult with an attorney who specifically handles these types of cases.
It is best to address all of the above issues as soon as possible after a pedestrian accident. If you were not able to do some of these, we will take the necessary steps to ensure that your legal rights are well protected.
You Need an Experienced New York Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you or someone you know has been injured in a pedestrian accident in New York or New Jersey, the attorneys at Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. can help you obtain the full compensation that you deserve. We understand that getting injured in a pedestrian accident can be a traumatic experience. We are here to help, both legally and emotionally.
Call Us Today
The most important step in handling your pedestrian accident claim is to contact the NYC pedestrian accident lawyers at Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. For more information or to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our attorneys, please us call at (212) 385-4410.
- New York Lawyers Risky Roadway Accidents
- Bicyclist Critically Injured In Brooklyn Dump Truck Accident
- Man Killed In Ballston Spa Hit-And-Run Collision
- One Person Killed In Dutchess County Car Accident
- Man Injured In Mount Sinai Car Accident on County Road 83
- Multiple People Injured In Wellsville School Bus Accident
- Pedestrian Killed In Hamburg Car Accident on Lake Avenue
- Woman Killed By Access-A-Ride Van In Chinatown
- Eight People Injured In Hyde Park Collision
- Woman Critically Injured In Brooklyn Pedestrian Accident