New York City Foster Care Abuse Lawyer
New York City Attorneys Representing Children Harmed While In Foster Care
Children are easy abuse targets. However, of all children, perhaps none are as vulnerable as foster children. It is not uncommon for foster children to hide abuse or mistreatment. Fear prevents many from seeking help. Unfortunately this makes it easy for abusive adults and sexual predators to easily overpower and abuse foster children. Even neglectful foster parents can easily cause harm to their foster children.
The child abuse lawyers at Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. stand up for the rights of children who have been harmed, abused or mistreated while living in foster care. We are aggressive, yet compassionate, in fighting for the rights of our young clients in New York, and we will do whatever it takes to seek financial compensation from those who harmed you or your child and those who allowed it to happen.
What Is Foster Care?
The foster care system allows adults to care for minor children whose biological parents are unable to care for them. The child is placed into a ward, group home, or private home of a state-certified caregiver, known as a “foster parent.” This placement is generally arranged through a government or social-service agency.
Private or government agencies are required to protect children in foster care. They are required to use a screening process and to oversee the people who serve as foster parents. If these agencies fail in their responsibilities and the children are harmed as a result of their negligence, our legal team will take action to bring them to justice.
Types of Foster Care Abuse
Although most foster parents love and take good care of their foster children, there are the select few who do not. Abuse can take many different shapes and forms, even in foster care homes. One such foster care neglect case, which touched the hearts of many, involved an infant who was horribly abused for two years. Other foster care abuse cases involve:
- Physical abuse, such as harms that cause broken bones, swollen skulls, crossed eyes, or shaken baby syndrome
- Sexual abuse by either the foster parent or any other member of the household
- Negligence, such as failing to provide basic necessities including food, water and medical care
Regardless of what type of harm your child suffered while in foster care, you need to take immediate actions to protect his or her legal rights. At Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C., we will investigate the abusers to determine if the agency should have known about the abuse or neglect. We will listen to you and tell you how we can help. If you have an actionable case, we will file a lawsuit against both the agency and the foster parent who was in charge of keeping your child safe.
Foster Care Children Have Rights, Too
Just because a child is a ward of the state in foster care, it does not mean that he or she is not entitled to the same rights as other children. Like other children, foster children have the right to live in a safe and secure environment. If a claim is made, the criminal justice system will investigate and prosecute foster care abuse.
The victims also have a right to file a civil lawsuit against the state and any agency that failed to properly screen and monitor the placement. At Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C., we know how to handle foster care abuse cases with sensitivity and compassion. Our child abuse attorneys will work with you every step of the way to ensure that the people who caused the harm and allowed your child to be placed in a dangerous foster care be held accountable for their negligence.
Call Us Today
The most important step in handling your foster care abuse case is to contact one of the attorneys at Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. Each case has unique facts and circumstances that affect the strategy of pursuing justice.
If you or someone you love was abused in foster care and you want to discuss your legal rights or talk to a legal professional about what happened, please contact one of our foster care abuse attorneys by calling (212) 385-4410.
- CNY School Bus Driver Arrested After Inappropriately Touching Three Students
- The Impact of the Boy Scouts of America Bankruptcy Filing on Child Sex Abuse Lawsuits
- New York Legislature Votes to Extend the Lookback Window Under Child Victims Act
- NY Gov. Cuomo Extends Lookback Window for Filing Under Child Victims Act
- New Child Victims Act Lawsuit Claims Former Child Psych Center Nurse Abused Patient
- U.S. Government Faces Lawsuits Claim Migrant Children Sexually Molested in Federally Funded Foster Homes
- Victims File Lawsuit Against Rockefeller University on First Day Child Victims Act Takes Effect
- New Lawsuit Reveals More Sexual Allegations Against Boy Scouts of America
- Jeffrey Epstein Accusers Eligible to File Suit Under the New York Child Victims Act
- Jewish Summer Camps’ Response to Prevent Sexual Abuse