New York Dog Bite Attorneys
Dog bites can cause severe injuries and even death. About 2 percent of the entire United States population, or almost 5 million people, are bitten or attacked by dogs each year. Of those, nearly 800,000 need medical attention. Dog bite losses exceed a staggering $1 billion per year, with over $300 million paid out by insurance companies. Nearly 77 percent of the dogs in question belong to a family member or friend. As such, these types of cases can get very complicated.
If you or a loved one has been injured from a dog bite or attack in New York or New Jersey, you have legal rights to recover monetary compensation for your damages. You need an experienced and aggressive dog bite attorney on your side to ensure a fair resolution of your case.
The New York dog bite attorneys at Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. have the knowledge, resource, and compassion to make sure your legal rights are properly protected and help you obtain the full monetary compensation that you and your loved ones deserve for the injuries that you have suffered.
New York Dog Bite Law
New York is a “mixed” state. This means that the state has a dog bite statute that mixes the one-bite rule with a limited degree of strict liability. Under New York’s dog bite statute, the owner of a dog that has previously bitten and is considered a “dangerous dog” is held strictly liable only for medical and veterinary costs.
In order to seek other damages, New York law requires dog bite victims to prove that the dog had the dangerous tendency to bite people, and that the dog owner had such knowledge.
New York Penalties Imposed On Dog Owners
New York law imposes penalties and controls on owners of dogs that have attacked or threatened to attack humans. The penalties under these statutes can range from a fine to the possibility of one year in jail. The exact penalty depends on the specific facts of the attack and whether the pet had ever been declared “dangerous” before the attack.
New York statute also allows for penalties and controls on “dangerous” dogs. In dog bites or attacks, the court can hold a hearing to determine whether the dog is a “dangerous dog.” If the court finds the dog to be “dangerous,” it can force the dog’s owner to take action in an attempt to make sure the dog interacts safely with others in the future. The court can request various actions for the pet, including:
- Requesting the dog owner to keep the dog leashed or muzzled at all times in a public area
- Requesting the dog owner to confine the dog for a specific period of time
- Requesting the dog owner to get the dog professionally trained
- Requesting the dog owner to purchase an insurance policy on the dog in case of future attack
- In cases involving very serious dog bites or attacks, the court may order the dog to be euthanized or placed in permanent confinement
New Jersey Dog Bite Laws
New Jersey has different dog bite laws as compared to New York. New Jersey’s dog bite law makes an owner strictly liable for an injured person’s medical fees and the veterinary bills of an animal bitten by the dog. If you were bitten by a dog, you may be entitled to recover additional monetary damages by proving that the dog’s owner:
- Was negligent
- Knew that his or her dog had a history of biting others
- Had his or her dog running around without a leash, or in a pack with other dogs
If you have been the victim of a dog bite or attack, it is imperative that you hire an attorney who has knowledge of the specific laws of the state in order to protect your legal rights and help you obtain the compensation that you deserve.
The legal team at Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. has knowledge of dog bite laws in both New York and New Jersey. We take the guess work out of this difficult process so that you and your family can focus on what is most important – healing your physical and emotional wounds.
You Need an Experienced New York Dog Bite Attorney
The pain and trauma that follows a dog bite or attack can be immense. You may be left with both physical and mental scars, making recovery seem like an impossible and far off prospect. However, a compassionate New York dog bite attorney can help you obtain the compensation that you need to pay for the best available treatment necessary to gain a sense of normalcy after a dog bite or attack.
We know how devastating a dog bite accident can be and you probably have a number of questions you need answered. We can help. We have been representing dog bite victims for more than 39 years. We know the dog bite laws in New York and New Jersey and we can help you recover the damages that you deserve for the injuries that you have suffered.
Call Us Today
If you or a loved one has been the victim of a dog bite or attack in New York or New Jersey, you need a knowledgeable and experienced New York dog bite accident attorney on your side. The attorneys at Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. have been winning cases involving people just like you for years.
For more information or to schedule a free initial consultation with one of the attorneys, please call us at 1-800-529-9997 or fill out a New York Personal Injury Case Consultation Form.
- Three People Injured In Midwood, Brooklyn Apartment Fire
- 15 Injured In Wappingers Falls Gas Explosion Accident
- Centers Health Care Accused of Neglecting Nursing Home Patients
- Five Injured In Cypress Hills, Brooklyn Apartment Fire
- Girl Injured After Falling From Window of Chelsea Houses Public Housing Complex
- Twenty People Injured In Fire At NYC’s Rikers Island Jail
- Worker Injured In Industrial Accident At Rochester Paper Factory
- Worker Injured In JFK Airport Forklift Accident
- One Person Killed In Bronx Apartment Fire on Olinville Avenue
- Two People Injured In Staten Island Apartment Fire