According to the United States Department of Transportation, there were more than 800 bicycle accident fatalities in 2015. This is a 12.2% increase over the past decade. More than 45,000 bicyclists were injured in accidents caused by motorists the same year.
Bicycles are increasingly becoming a common form of transportation, especially on the busy streets of New York. Unfortunately, this convenient mode of transportation can also be dangerous. While you may not be able to avoid getting into a bicycle accident in traffic, it is important that you know the steps to take in the aftermath. Knowing what to do after a bicycle accident caused by a motorist is imperative in protecting your legal rights.
What You Need To Do After a Bicycle Accident
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident caused by another party’s negligence, there are 5 important things you should consider:
1. Wait for the police. The first thing you need to do after an NYC bicycle accident is to call the police and wait for them to arrive. A police report can include information that may be imperative in getting you the full compensation that you deserve.
2. Do not negotiate with the driver. It is likely that an at-fault driver may try to negotiate with you or try to make you admit you caused the accident. You should never engage in any type of negotiation.
3. Get the driver’s information. Without the information of the driver who caused your bicycle accident, it may be nearly impossible to hold them liable and seek compensation for your injuries.
4. Get immediate medical attention. If you are seriously injured, you need to get medical attention at the scene of the accident. Even if you think you are not seriously injured, you need to still get medical treatment. Keep in mind that symptoms of some injuries may not manifest until days after the accident.
5. Get legal help. Insurance adjusters generally call injured victims to negotiate a settlement within 24 to 48 hours of the accident. Negotiating with the insurance company without legal representation can result in settling your claim for significantly less than its value. It is best to immediately consult with an NYC bicycle accident attorney to protect your legal rights. An experienced attorney can help you fight the insurance company and settle your claim for full compensation.
At Gersowitz, Libo & Korek, P.C., our attorneys understand the ramifications of a bicycle accident on the victim and their family members. We are aggressive in getting our clients the full extent of monetary compensation they are entitled to for the injuries they have suffered.
If you or a loved one was injured due to the negligent actions of another party and would like to consult with an experienced New York bicycle accident attorney, please call Gersowitz, Libo & Korek, P.C. at 1-800-529-9997.