When you get seriously injured in an accident that was caused by the negligence of another party, you may have rights under the law. You need to make sure that you take every necessary step to protect these rights so you don’t end up paying for someone else’s careless actions and behavior. In some cases, it may even be necessary to file a lawsuit against the at fault party. This is exactly why you need to hire an experienced personal injury attorney to protect your legal rights and ensure that you obtain the full compensation that you deserve.
This article discusses the top reasons why you need to hire a lawyer after an accident.
5 Reasons Why You Should Hire an Accident Attorney
Below are five important reasons why you should hire an accident attorney:
- You only have a limited amount of time to file a lawsuit. Every state has its own time limit (known as the statute of limitations) for filing an accident claim or lawsuit after an accident.
- You may need to comply with certain rules. In some cases, you may need to take certain actions before you can file a lawsuit. For example, in most government claims, you will need to file a claim with the government agency within a specific time period before being able to sue that agency in state court.
- You may need help finding the right medical providers for your injuries. If you have never been seriously injured, you may not know what type of medical treatment you need. Although an attorney cannot provide you with medical treatment, he can provide guidance as to which types of doctors you may need to seek treatment.
- Proving liability may be difficult. Even if the police report is in your favor and you have eyewitnesses, the opposing party may still deny liability. There are many elements that go into proving a personal injury claim and obtaining a favorable outcome. An experienced attorney will have the knowledge and resources to prove your case and ensure that you obtain the full compensation that you deserve for your injuries.
- You need to understand your settlement options. Most cases settle without going to court and a lengthy litigation process. This means that the at-fault party or his insurance carrier will likely make you a reasonable offer before you file suit. An experienced attorney will understand the implications of accepting an offer. He will help you properly evaluate and value your claim so that you don’t accept an offer that you may later regret.
Call a New York Accident Attorney Today
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident that was caused by the negligence or recklessness of another party, you may be entitled to monetary compensation. For more information or to consult with one of our experienced New York accident attorneys, please call Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. at 1-800-529-9997.