How To Report Foster Care Abuse

Foster Care AbuseFoster care is a system that places minor children whose biological parents cannot care for them with adults (referred to as foster parents) who have been screened and are under the watch of a state or private agency. Although the foster care system is designed to provide these foster children with a safe, secure and loving environment, this is not always the case. Unfortunately, foster care abuse and neglect does happen, harming innocent foster children who deserve to have the same rights as other children.

When foster home abuse happens, it should be reported to protect the abused child and prevent the abuse and neglect from harming other foster children.

Reporting Foster Care Abuse

Foster parents play an essential role in providing temporary, safe and nurturing homes to children whose parents are unable to care for them. New York continues to be a leader in placing these children with foster parents. Although the majority of these temporary homes are safe and loving, abuse and neglect is not uncommon.

The abuse or mistreatment of children is against the law in any state. The Child Protective Services Act of 1973 was established to encourage complete reporting of child abuse and maltreatment. The Act established a Child Protective Service in each county in New York. Each Child Protective Service is require to:

  • Investigate child abuse and maltreatment
  • Provide rehabilitative services to children, parents and other family members involved.

New York maintains a Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR) for reports made pursuant to the Social Services Law. The Statewide Central Register, also known as the “Hotline,” receives calls 24 hours a day, seven days a week from anyone throughout the state of New York regarding allegations of child abuse or maltreatment. The system then relays the information to the local Child Protective Services for investigation and monitoring prompt response.

Filing a Civil Action

In addition to reporting a foster care abuse to the appropriate agencies, you may also have a civil action case against both the agency that placed your child and the foster parent who allegedly abused or neglected your child. An experienced child abuse lawyer can help you obtain the full compensation that your injured or harmed child is entitled to. Although no amount of monetary compensation can undo the harm caused, it can bring a sense closure and justice.

Call Us

If you or a child was injured or harmed while in the care of a foster parent or group home or ward, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Exercising your rights and seeking monetary compensation will not turn back time or undo your pain and anguish, but it will allow you to have the financial means to get the necessary treatment for your injuries. To ensure that you get the full compensation that you deserve, you should hire an experienced New York foster care abuse lawyer.

For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with an experienced New York child abuse attorney, please call Gersowitz, Libo & Korek, P.C. at 800-529-9997.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Client Testimonials

section start
Need Help with an Injury? We're Here to Help. Contact Us Today:
    111 Broadway, Suite 1204
    New York, NY 10006
    Phone: (212) 385-4410
    Toll-free: (800) 529-9997
    Fax: (212) 385-4417
    Leave Us A Review : revmap rev-sec
  • NEW JERSEY OFFICE Recognized as one of the leading personal injury law firms in the New Jersey, Gersowitz, Libo & Korek, P.C. has recovered tens of millions of dollars for our clients in New York and New Jersey.
    157 Engle Street
    Englewood, NJ 07631
    Phone:(201) 541-8540
    Toll-free: (800) 529-9997
    Fax: (201) 541-8565
    Leave Us A Review : rev-map rev-sec