As difficult as losing a loved one can be, suffering such a loss due to the wrongful actions of another can simply be devastating. It is important to be aware of your legal rights especially since you may only have a limited amount of time to file a legal claim.
As such, it is imperative to begin searching as soon as possible for an attorney experienced in the field of handling wrongful death claims. Of course, hiring an attorney to investigate and file such a claim will not undo the harm caused, but it will hold the responsible person or entity accountable and bring you a sense of justice.
Important Factors to Consider When Hiring an Attorney
The decision to hire an attorney experienced in handling wrongful death claims should be made as soon as possible but such a decision can be complicated during a time when family members are emotionally distraught and need honest and reliable advice about their legal options. While choosing the right attorney can be a complicated process, nevertheless, the decision has to be made.
Below are some important factors that should be considered when choosing an attorney experienced in handling such claims:
- Choose an attorney who concentrates his/her practice exclusively in the field of personal injury law and has successfully handled wrongful death cases with success.
- Choose an attorney who has a good reputation amongst other lawyers, judges and the community. An attorney’s reputation is generally a good reflection of how he/she will handle your case as well.
- Successful track record. You need an attorney who is successful. Since success is generally measured by an attorney’s track record, it may be worth your time to look at the potential attorney’s history of securing favorable verdicts and settlements.
- It is important to believe and trust that your attorney will have your best interests in mind. Without the ‘trust’ factor, you will not feel confident that you are getting the compensation and justice that you deserve.
- Good staff. A good amount of legal work is generally handled by an attorney’s staff. As such, it is important to trust and like the potential attorney’s staff and know that, in addition to the attorney, they are accessible.
Ultimately, you need to make the decision that is right for your family and you. You need to gather all of the facts and choose the attorney that will help you obtain the full compensation to which you are entitled. With the right attorney on your side, you can be confident that your legal affairs are taken care of while your family and you concentrate on dealing with the untimely loss of your loved one.
Call Us Today
For more information or to consult with one of our experienced New York wrongful death attorneys, please call Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. at 1-800-529-9997.