Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. Represents Two People Injured In Kiamesha Lake Gas Explosion Accident
KIAMESHA LAKE, NEW YORK (January 21, 2024) – Three people were seriously injured a Kiamesha Lake home explosion believed to have been caused by a propane leak.
Sullivan County officials are saying that the incident began around 12:30 p.m. on September 30. An extremely powerful blast completely leveled the home.
Two neighboring homes were also damaged and needed to be demolished. Paramedics were called to the scene in order to help all of the victims.
Three people were critically injured in the blast and required hospitalization. They were taken to the Westchester Medical Center.
Our law firm represents a mother of two children and her fiancé who were injured. We brought a pre-action Order to Show Cause against the homeowner, Propane Company and Fire Department to inspect the property, propane tank and its appurtenances.
Any person that may have more information about the circumstances of the explosion should contact our office at (516) 908-9792.
Liability For New York Home Explosions
Many home explosions are due to inadvertent gas leaks. According to RP Gas Piping, “Across the U.S., there are about 286 serious natural gas explosions per year that cause over $50,000 worth of damage, severe injury, or loss of life. Between 1998 and 2017, 15 people per year on average died in incidents related to gas distribution in the U.S.” There are a number of steps that gas companies should take in order to prevent explosions.
- Gas companies should perform regular inspections on all of their lines.
- Gas companies should implement leak inspection systems. Corrosion and normal wear on gas pipelines can lead to leaks.
- Gas companies should use emergency shutdown systems to reduce the likelihood of an explosion.
- Gas companies should comply with all state and federal regulations for maintaining their lines.
Depending on the specific facts of any case, there could be numerous sources of liability for a home explosion. A property owner could be liable for a home explosion if it was caused by some defect with the home. All property owners in New York have a legal responsibility to maintain their premises in a reasonably safe condition. This must be done for the protection of all persons on a property whose presence is reasonably foreseeable.
Defects with a property could include appliances or gas lines that are poorly maintained. Natural gas is by far the most common source of home explosions. Many of these explosions are due to gas lines that are not set up properly. A valve may be slightly loose before eventually coming completely off. It is important that maintenance records are examined after any accident. Victims of gas explosions tend to suffer very serious injuries including:
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Burn injuries
The vast majority of home explosions are preventable. They often involve numerous safety violations. Sadly, though, property owners and gas companies will do everything that they can to deny responsibility if someone is injured in a gas explosion. This is why it is so important that evidence is properly preserved. Evidence is what will ultimately be used to determine who was at fault regardless of what any property owner or gas company may claim.
Investigating New York Home Explosions
We at Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. understand how difficult it can be to move forward after a gas explosion. Victims are often lift with high medical bills or a home. It is important for accident victims to understand that they do have rights and may be able to seek some measure of justice through a civil claim.
Have you or someone that you care about been injured in a Kiamesha Lake home explosion? You may have legal recourse. Our team of personal injury attorneys are here to help you. We are committed to helping accident victims get the support and justice that they are entitled to under the law. Whether you just have legal questions or are thinking about hiring an attorney we are here for you. You can reach out to us anytime at (516) 908-9792.