E-scooters have become a common sight on the streets of New York and are helping redefine the way New Yorkers navigate the city. However, while people are embracing e-scooters throughout the city, as well as across the country, there is real reason to be concerned about the impact on safety. There has been a sharp increase in e-scooter accidents in recent years, especially over the past year and a half during Covid.
With the scooter programs not likely to go away, it is imperative that riders take all reasonable measures to avoid accidents while riding an e-scooter.
The Rise of Injuries for E-Scooter Riders
In 2018, Americans took more than 84 million trips on micromobility devices, with approximately half of those trips being on e-scooters. Given the increase in e-scooter ridership, experts predict the market for e-scooter services will exceed $12 billion by 2025.
Unfortunately, with the rise of e-scooters on the streets, there has also been a sharp increase in the rates of accidents and injuries. According to the CPSC:
- Between 2017 and 2019, micromobility devices resulted in approximately 133,000 emergency room visits, with the majority of the visits attributable to a sharp increase in e-scooter ridership.
- Emergency room visits involving e-scooter accidents and injuries increased from 7,700 in 2017 to 14,500 in 2018 and to 27,000 in 2019.
Important Steps to Help Avoid E-Scooter Accidents and Injuries
Many different factors can be attributed to e-scooter accidents. However, safety research shows most are due to falls, collisions with cars, road hazards, distractions, and mechanical issues.
If you or a loved one plans on riding an e-scooter, some steps you can take to reduce injury risks include:
- Always wear a snug-fitting helmet while you ride
- Avoid wearing clothing that restricts your movement while riding
- Be aware of the features and capabilities of the e-scooter you are riding
- Follow all traffic laws and always avoid riding on the sidewalk
- Focus on your path ahead and beware of pedestrians and vehicles in your immediate path of travel
- Avoid distractions and riding under the influence
Contact Our New York E-scooter Accident Attorneys
If you have been injured in an accident involving an e-scooter in New York City, you need to immediately contact an experienced New York City e-scooter accident attorney to protect your legal rights and get you the full compensation that you deserve. For more information or to consult with our legal team, please call Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. at 212-385-4410.