The weather is warming up and the motorcyclists are getting ready to hit the road. As fun as riding a motorcycle might be, however, it can be considered a dangerous ride. The federal government estimates that per mile traveled in 2013, the number of deaths on motorcycles was over 26 times the number in cars. This number has steadily increased over the past decade.
With the increase in the number of motorcycle riders on the road, it is important to take the extra precautionary steps to help avoid a potentially catastrophic motorcycle accident. Below are five important tips to consider that can help you avoid or, at least reduce, the likelihood of being involved in a motorcycle accident:
- Pay attention to the road. Regardless of whether you are in a car or a motorcycle, it is important to stay focused on the road ahead. Distracted driving or riding can result in fatal consequences.
- Consider road and weather conditions. Even the smallest bump in the road can be disastrous for motorcyclists. Similarly, rough weather conditions, perhaps even a summer shower, can be recipe for disaster for bikers.
- Do not drive recklessly. Driving within safe speed limits is especially important for motorcyclists. It can be difficult for riders to retain full control when traveling at excessive speed.
- Wear protective gear. Wearing protective gear can mean the difference between life and death in serious accidents. Bikers should always wear a safe, tight-fitting helmet, leather jacket, and leather pants. The more protection you have during an accident, the less serious your injuries may be.
- Attend a motorcycle training course. Maneuvering a motorcycle is much different than operating a automobile. As such, new riders should understand how to operate a motorcycle before getting one or riding one. It is even a good idea for experienced riders to brush up on safety tips by attending a training course every so often.
What To Do If You Are Involved In an Accident
Despite taking all the necessary safety precautions while riding a motorcycle, getting into an accident may simply be unavoidable. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, it is important to know your rights and to take certain steps to ensure that you obtain the full compensation to which you are entitled.
Some important steps to take in the aftermath of a motorcycle accident include:
- Moving out of harm’s way, if possible
- Calling 911 if you or anyone else is seriously injured
- Seeking immediate medical help
- Obtaining important information for all parties involved in the accident
- Obtaining contact information for any witnesses to the scene of the accident
- Taking pictures of the scene of the accident, if you are able to do so
- Immediately consulting with an experienced personal injury attorney who specifically handles these types of cases
Call Us Today
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, we can help. For more information or to consult with one of our experienced New York motorcycle accident attorneys, please call Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. at 1-800-529-9997.