We often take our good health for granted – until something happens. When we come down with a serious illness or suffer a life altering injury, it can turn our world upside down. Doctors and other healthcare professionals can make mistakes that sometimes cause a patient to suffer further injuries and a worsened condition. When this happens, a patient may want to pursue a medical malpractice lawsuit. Pursuing these types of cases can be complicated. Consulting with an experienced New York medical malpractice is the best option. However, below are some steps you should initially consider taking to protect your legal right.
Taking the Right Step
If you think you or a loved one has been the victim of medical malpractice, you should contact an experienced New York medical malpractice attorney. There are also certain steps you should take to protect your legal rights and make sure that you get the full extent of damages you deserve for your injuries. Below is a list of five important steps to take:
1. Document the names of all of the healthcare providers involved. This is important because it will help you remember the details, especially if you need to file a medical malpractice lawsuit in the future.
2. Ask questions. You have the right to ask your medical provider why the negligent act occurred, how it will be fixed, and what the treatment plan will be.
3. Request a copy of your medical records. If you suspect medical negligence, it is important that you obtain a copy of your medical records before the medical provider has an opportunity to edit or alter the records.
4. Contact a medical malpractice attorney. Medical malpractice cases are often complicated and confusing. Having an experienced New York medical malpractice attorney handling your claim and available to answer your questions may be invaluable in getting the full extent of the compensation that you deserve.
5. Follow your attorney’s advice. Once you find a good attorney, you need to follow his advice.
If you suspect that you or a loved one has been the victim of medical malpractice, it is important to take immediate steps to protect your legal rights. To learn more about medical malpractice or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our experienced New York medical malpractice attorneys, please call Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. at 1-800-529-9997.