Just because you are on a cruise it does not mean that you are completely safe from getting sexually assaulted or raped. Unfortunately, bad things can happen on cruise ships as well. Under certain conditions, you may be able to hold the cruise line owners and operators liable for these unfortunate events. Although filing a claim will not undo what happened, it can bring a sense of closure and justice for these bad things that happened to you.
Common Reasons Why Rapes and Sexual Assaults Happen on Cruise Ships
Below are five common circumstances that either individually or in combination tend to be present when a rape or sexual assault happens onboard a cruise ship:
- A false sense of security on the part of a cruise passenger
- The complete lack of adequate security aboard cruise ships
- Service of excessive alcohol onboard ships by the crew members
- The unfortunate reality that a large percentage of rapes and sexual assaults remain unreported
- The crew member’s gamble that he/she will be deported to his home country and not face criminal prosecution
FBI Jurisdiction Over Sexual Assaults and Rape at Sea
The FBI has jurisdiction over rapes and sexual assaults that occur onboard cruise ships at sea in these four circumstances:
- If the cruise ship is owned partly or in whole by a United States entity
- If the victim or the perpetrator is a US citizen or if the cruise line departs or arrives in a United States port anytime during its voyage
- If the offense was committed by or against a United States citizen outside the jurisdiction of any nation (i.e. in international waters)
- If the offense occurred in the U.S. territorial sea within 12 miles of the United States coast
If you or a loved one was sexually assaulted or raped on a cruise ship, you may have a valid claim against the cruise ship. The experienced NYC cruise ship sexual assault and rape attorneys at Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. are here to help you get the full compensation that you deserve.
Call an Experienced NYC Sexual Assault Cruise Ship Attorney
The legal team at Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. has been successfully pursuing cruise line sexual assault and rape claims on behalf of residents in New York and from other parts of the world. We have the knowledge and resources to aggressively pursue your case and help you get the outcome that you are entitled to.
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our attorneys, please call Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. at 1-800-529-9997.