New York Defective Highway Design Accident Attorneys
Most auto accidents are caused by the negligence and recklessness of motorists. In certain cases, motor vehicle accidents are caused by the negligent design, plan or maintenance of the road, street or highway. Roads in New York are designed, built and maintained by the state or its municipalities. These governmental bodies are typically responsible for any injuries caused as a result of the negligent design, built or maintenance of the roads. However, successfully filing a personal injury claim can be complicated.
If you or a loved one was seriously injured in an accident that was caused by the negligent design, built or maintenance of a roadway, street or highway, you need to hire a law firm that knows what they are doing. At Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C., we build upon more than 39 years of experience and resources to handle with defective roads and highways. Our experienced and compassionate lawyers in New York treat each client with the dedication and respect they deserve in obtaining the benefits they are entitled to.
Common Types of Dangerously Designed Roadways
A roadway can be dangerous in a variety of ways. Some common examples of dangerously designed roadways include:
- Roads that form puddles or accumulate rain water or flood due to poor drainage design
- Roads that are not properly marked with appropriate warning signs
- Roads that lack required guardrails or have inadequate or defective guardrails
- Roads that have too-high speed limits
- Roads with steep drop-off shoulders
- Roads that have drainage ditches that are too deep
- Roads that have trees or shrubbery planted too close to the road
- Intersections or signage that do not safely control the flow of traffic or warn of dangerous situations
If you suffered injuries in an accident that involved any of these, or any other type of roadway that you believe is dangerous, you should immediately consult with one of our defective highway design accident attorneys as you may be entitled to compensation. These types of cases often require a greater knowledge of not only the applicable laws, but also of the design and engineering of the roadways. Our legal team has the experience and necessary knowledge to successfully handle such claims and obtain the full compensation our clients deserve.
The New York Rule in Road Design Cases
Typically, in defective and unsafe highway design cases, the rule is that the roadway only needs to comply with the design and engineering standards that existed at the time the road was built. However, there are two common exceptions to this rule of law:
- If the roadway or highway has a history of accidents, the government entity who controls it may have to upgrade the design to comply with the more modern and updated standards; and
- If the government entity controlling the roadway undertakes a significant reconstruction project or repair, it can trigger a requirement for the government entity to also upgrade the design to comport with the current standards.
Our attorneys are knowledgeable with all applicable rules and law pertaining to defective highway design cases. Our experience and knowledge enable us to successfully handle such cases and obtain the full compensation our clients deserve.
Common Injuries Sustained by Defective Highway Design Accident Victims
Defective highways and roads can cause a variety of catastrophic and even fatal injuries. Some common injuries suffered by these victims include:
- Broken or fractured bones
- Back and neck injuries
- Spinal cord trauma
- Brain injuries
If you were seriously injured in an accident that was caused by a defective highway design, built or maintenance, you may be entitled to compensation for your:
- Past and future medical bills
- Loss of wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental and emotional anguish
- Any other costs related to your accident
At Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C., we take your injuries personally. We will take any necessary steps and measures to help you recover the full compensation that you deserve. We will work together to hold government entities responsible for their negligence and oversight.
Trust Your Defective Highway Design Case With Attorneys Who Get Results
The legal team at Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. has the necessary experience and knowledge to hold government entities liable for their defective highway design. In one notable case, the firm was able to prove that the City of New York was at fault for failing to replace the improper barrier on the Bronx River Parkway with a proper, taller barrier, which had been proven to prevent catastrophic accidents. The firm was able to obtain an $18 million combined settlement by the city and state of New York for the sole plaintiff who lost six of his family members in crash.
Each defective highway design case has a unique set of facts. If you believe your accident was totally or partially caused by a defective roadway design, built or maintenance, you need to immediately consult with one of our attorneys. We will investigate the specific facts of your case and determine whether you have a valid claim against a government entity for compensation.
Call an Experienced NYC Defective Highway Design Lawyers
If you or someone you know has been the victim of a serious accident due to a defective highway design accident in New York or New Jersey, you need knowledgeable and experienced defective highway design accident attorneys on your side. The attorneys at Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. have been winning cases involving such victims for years. We are ready to hear the facts of your case and answer any questions that you may have.
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our experienced lawyers in New York, please call us at 1-800-529-9997 or fill out a New York Personal Injury Case Consultation form. We handle personal injury cases in New York and New Jersey.
- Multiple People Injured In Bronx Car Accident With Police Cruiser
- Woman Died In Brooklyn Car Accident on Court Street
- One Person Injured In Batavia Car Accident on Liberty Street
- 20 Injured In Manhattan Uber Accident By 204th Street and Broadway
- Motorcyclist Killed In Valley Stream, Long Island Car Accident On Mill Road
- One Person Injured In Duanesburg Fire Truck Accident on Interstate 88
- Two People Injured In Clayton Car Accident on County Route 9
- Two People Injured In Catskill Car Accident On State Route 9W
- Rebecca Loren Injured In Newport Car Accident On Route 28 By White Creek Road
- 2021 Marked the Deadliest Summer for NYC Roads Despite de Blasio Pledge to Curb Deadly Crashes