A 67-year-old woman delivering papers in Queens, New York died after a piece of falling debris struck her in the head on Thursday, January 16th around 9:45 a.m. The woman was identified as Xiang Ji of Westbury. She was walking on Main Street near 41st Street in Flushing in front of the building located at 41-28 Main Street, when a piece of plywood covered with aluminum detached from the roof and fell on her. She was found unconscious and unresponsive on the sidewalk. She was rushed to New York Presbyterian Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
The Department of Building and Safety has issued 18 open violations against the building owner, including one for the failure to properly maintain the building. The DOB has since ordered the building owner to erect a sidewalk shed on the top of the sidewalk to protect pedestrians from any additional problems. The previous violations were mostly related to effectuating work without a permit inside the building.
Wrongful Death Claims
If you have lost a loved one in an accident caused by the recklessness or negligence of another party, you may be entitled to compensation. Although no amount of money will bring back your loved one and undo the harm caused, it can help bring a sense of justice.
A wrongful death claim may be filed by a representative on behalf of the survivors who suffer damage from the decedent’s death. The parties in interest may include:
• Immediate family members
• Life partners, financial dependents, and putative spouses
• Distant family members
As a wrongful death claimant, you may be entitled to:
• Reasonable funeral and burial expenses
• The estimated amount of income and benefits the deceased person would have earned in their lifetime had the accident not occurred
• Loss of financial support for the household
• Loss of services around the household, including cleaning, landscaping, cooking, caring for children, and other everyday tasks and contributions to the family
• Loss of intangible support, including love and affection, encouragement, moral support, guidance, attention, and more
Contact Our New York Wrongful Death Attorneys
If you have lost a loved one in an accident caused by the wrongful actions of another party, you need to immediately contact an experienced New York City wrongful death attorney to protect your legal rights and get you the full compensation that you deserve. For more information or to consult with an experienced New York City accident attorney, please call Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. at 1-212-385-4410.