An important question most victims ask after an accident is “Do I need an attorney?”. This is a great question because without effective legal representation, you may not obtain the full compensation that you are entitled to for the injuries you have suffered. Although there is no simple answer to this question because the facts of each case are unique, it is always a wise decision to at least consult with a personal injury attorney following an accident.
An Attorney Can Fight the Insurance Company
There are many different factors to consider when determining whether you need to hire an accident attorney. One of the most important factors to consider is the fact that insurance companies always want a cheap settlement. A cheaper settlement for the insurance company means more money in their pockets, instead of yours. To meet this goal, insurance companies train their adjusters to undervalue the claimant’s claim and use a variety of different delay tactics to force the claimant to take the low-ball settlement offer.
Although the best way to avoid settling your claim for less than it is worth is to hire an experienced attorney, below are some recommendations to keep in mind after the accident to protect your legal rights:
- Do not sign any documents until you have consulted with legal representation.
- Do not allow the insurance adjuster to record your conversation, even if it is for an alleged “accuracy purpose.”
- Do not think the insurance adjuster is your friend or on your side – even if he or she represents your own insurance carrier.
- Do not reveal to the adjuster that you need the money and are determined to settle the case as soon as possible
The bottom line is that without a good personal injury on your side fighting for your rights, you will most likely not obtain the full extent of the compensation that you deserve.
How To Choose The Best Representation
If you have made the wise decision to hire an attorney, you should look for the following characteristics to ensure that you hire the best legal help possible:
- The attorney has experience handling cases similar to yours
- The attorney has a successful track record in both settling and taking cases similar to yours through the litigation process
- The attorney’s reputation amongst his previous clients and in the legal community
- The attorney’s background and legal education
- The law firm’s resources in handling cases similar to yours
- Your degree of comfort and confidence in the potential attorney
Call a New York Personal Injury Attorney Today
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in an accident that was caused by the reckless actions of another party, you may have a valid personal injury claim and may be entitled to monetary compensation. For more information or to consult with one of our experienced New York personal injury attorneys, please call Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. at 1-800-529-9997.