Two People Hospitalized In Arlington House Fire Caused By Portable Generator Along Edwin Road
ARLINGTON, NEW YORK (October 16, 2022) – At least two people were injured in an Arlington house fire along Edwin Road that is being blamed on a portable emergency generator.
Arlington police officials are saying that the accident took place around 9:00 a.m. on Monday. A two-alarm fire broke out at a home.
Firefighters and paramedics were called to the scene of the accident in order to help all of the victims. Two people were taken to the hospital in order to receive treatment.
Firefighters were able to put out the blaze in about 20 minutes. The cause of the fire has been listed as a portable emergency generator.
A full investigation remains ongoing at this time.
Liability For Arlington House Fires
Thousands of people are injured or killed in fires every year. According to The Zebra, “In a five-year period, house fires caused 2,620 deaths and $6.9 billion in property damage (NFPA). In 2018, the national average was 2.5 civilian fire deaths and 9.8 injuries per 1,000 fires (NFDR). The top three causes of fires in homes are cooking, heating equipment, and electrical malfunction (FEMA).” There are a number of common causes of residential fires.
- Electrical problems
- Portable generators
- Gas leaks
- Space heaters
Depending on the facts of any case, the company that manufactured an e-scooter or its component parts could be liable for an accident. Companies that design portable generators have a responsibility to make those products reasonably safe. When a scooter company fails to design products that are reasonably safe, this could form the basis of a product liability claim. There are a number of elements that a plaintiff must demonstrate in any product liability claim.
- The product was not reasonably safe due to a significant likelihood of harm;
- It was feasible for the product to have been designed in a safer way, and;
- The defect in question was the proximate cause of the injury a victim sustained. (Voss v. Black & Decker Mfg. Co., 59 N.Y.2d 102)
Any person that is injured because of a portable generator may have legal recourse through a bodily injury claim. Damages in a civil claim can help cover lost wages, medical bills and pain and suffering. Unfortunately, companies will often fight extremely hard to deny liability for any accident involving their products. A product liability attorney can examine all of the facts of your case and let you know what your legal options are.
Investigating A New York House Fire
We at Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. extend our best wishes to the victims of this accident. Any person that may have more information about what happened should reach out to police. It is our sincere hope that steps are taken to prevent other accidents like this.
Have you or someone that you care about been injured in an Arlington house fire. Our team of consumer safety advocates are here to answer any questions that you may have. We care deeply that accident victims get the medical and financial support that they need in order to recover. You can reach out to us anytime at (516) 908-9792.