The enormous size and weight of truck accidents often cause serious and fatal injuries to the victims. Although there are many different causes of truck accidents, one of the highest causes in the United States is truck driver fatigue.
Regardless of what caused your truck accident, you should consult an experienced New York truck accident lawyer to help you seek compensation for your medical bills, loss of wages, pain and suffering, and other accident-related expenses.
The Laws Regarding “Long Hours of Service”
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety administration provides minimum required safety rules for trucks in interstate traffic. An important section of these laws deals with the “hours of service” allowed to any truck driver because truck driver fatigue is one of the most common causes of truck accidents. A summary of this section states:
- Truck drivers can drive for a maximum of 11 continuous hours, in a 14-hour work day, after which they are required to take a mandatory rest period of 10 hours before getting behind the wheel of their truck again.
- In any seven-day period the truck can be driven for 60-77 hours and in any eight-day period the truck can be driven between 70-99 hours.
- The truck and its driver can start their week at zero hours if the truck and the driver have both been off the road for two and a half days continuously.
Although truck drivers and trucking companies are legally required to follow the federal rules regulating the trucking industry, many don’t for various reasons including the greed of making more money.
Other Common Causes of Truck Accidents
While truck driver fatigue may be one of the highest causes of truck accidents, there are other reasons for such accidents, including:
- Drunk driving
- Improper maintenance of the truck
- Unsafe and overweight truck loads
- Speeding and reckless driving.
Regardless of what caused your truck accident, it no doubt resulted in serious injuries for which you may be entitled to monetary compensation. To ensure that you get the full extent of the compensation that you deserve, you should consult an experienced New York truck accident attorney.
Let Us Help You Get the Compensation You Deserve
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a truck accident, you should call the experienced New York truck accident attorneys at Gersowitz, Libo & Korek, P.C. at 1-800-529-9997. We will fight for your rights and help you get the full extent of the compensation that you deserve.