Thousands of people visit New York City during the holiday seasons every year. Most tourists find their visit to the Big Apple to be uneventful and fun. However, accidents can happen-even when you’re on vacation. Before striking out to the big city, prepare yourself for New York’s busy streets and the important steps you should take in the event of getting injured in an accident.
Common Types of Injuries
In 2018, New York City welcomed a record 65.2 million visitors, comprising 51.6 million domestic and 13.5 million international visitors, the ninth consecutive year of tourism growth. The number of tourists visiting NYC in 2019 promises to be even greater. Although most tourists find themselves accident-free during their visit to the Big Apple, accidents do happen – especially in such busy metropolitan cities.
Some common accidents that tourists can expect to get injured in and should be wary of include:
- Pedestrian accidents
- Accidents involving sidewalks in disrepair
- Accidents while in an Uber, Lyft or Airport Shuttle
- Motor vehicle accidents
If you find yourself injured in any of these accidents, it is important to immediately consult with a local lawyer who is familiar with the jurisdiction to help protect your legal rights and get you the full compensation that you deserve.
What You Need to Do After an Accident During Your Visit to NYC
Getting into an accident while traveling can be overwhelming. You may not know what to do or what steps to take to protect your legal rights. Below are some important steps you should consider taking after getting injured in any accident while visiting New York City:
- Call the police or the local law enforcement agency
- Seek immediate medical attention even if you think you’re not that injured because symptoms of certain serious injuries may not be physically visible
- Take pictures of the scene of incident
- Get contact information for all parties involved in the incident
- If you were injured on someone else’s property, file a report with the manager or the owner
- Get contact information for any witnesses to the incident
- Contact a local New York accident attorney to help protect your legal rights
Contact Our New York Accident Attorneys
If you or a loved one has been injured while visiting New York City, you need to immediately contact an experienced New York City accident attorney to protect your legal rights and get you the full compensation that you deserve for your injuries. For more information or to consult with an experienced New York City Lyft sexual assault attorney, please call Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. at 1-646-798-1535.