The ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has forced many non-essential businesses to close their doors and suffer significant economic repercussions. Business owners nationwide expected their insurance carriers to cover these losses. But this has not been the case, as insurance carriers continue to deny claims.
To help fight this injustice, the Insurance Law Section of the American Association for Justice (AAJ) has formed a new COVID-19 Business Interruption Litigation Taskforce (BILT). Partner and trial senior litigation attorney, Jeff S. Korek of Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. was appointed Chair for the State of New York and Chair for the State of New Jersey.
The COVID-19 Business Interruption Litigation Taskforce’s 5 Focus Areas
The BILT will focus on five important areas:
- Litigation/MDL: examining national aspects of the litigation, including two pending requests for MDL consolidation.
- State Affairs: collaborating on state-level facets of the litigation, including state cases, Department of Insurance/Attorney General guidance and positions, state and local closure orders, and more.
- Legislative Assistance: exploring emergency relief and bailout bills, as needed.
- Communications: unifying the messaging to the public and media coverage of the issues.
- General Membership/Education: consolidating and organizing information for members and collaborating with the Insurance Law Section and Bad Faith Insurance Litigation Group leadership on education programs and meetings.
Jeff Korek’s Role as Part of the BILT
As part of his role in this taskforce, Mr. Korek will work with others to spearhead a national effort to help business owners who have been financially devastated by the effects of the coronavirus and perhaps more tragically the refusal of their carriers to make good on legitimate claims not withstanding years of paying premiums.
As Chair of New York and New Jersey, Mr. Korek has the responsibility to stay focused on state and federal litigation, legislation and other developments in both states . He is also charged with the responsibility of coordinating strategy with other state practitioners so as to most effectively represent those business owners and their families who are desperately in need of assistance.
Business Interruption by the Coronavirus Pandemic? Call Us Now!
The legal team at Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. is dedicated to helping business owners fight for their rights and get the compensation they deserve under their insurance policies for loss of business resulting from the coronavirus pandemic.
If you have any questions about your business regarding COVID-19 or to see how we can help, please call Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. at 1-646-798-1535.