According to the National Highways Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), approximately 70,000 pedestrians are injured and 4,500 die each year in the United States. The main cause of these deaths is collision by a car, truck or motorcycle.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Even though the main cause of pedestrian accidents is getting hit by a car, the question to ask should be what is the common cause of motorists hitting pedestrians.
Perhaps the most common cause of pedestrian-motorist accidents is distracted driving. When motorists are distracted, either because they are talking on a cell phone, texting or changing the radio station, they are not paying attention to what is happening on the road. Distracted drivers often fail to see pedestrians legally crossing the street or walking in the shoulder on the road. This can cause serious accidents, resulting in horrific injuries or even fatalities.
Other common causes of pedestrian-motorist accidents include:
- Disobeying traffic signs or signals
- Failing to signal while turning
- Disregarding weather or traffic conditions
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Steps to Take If You Are Involved in a Pedestrian Accident
If you were involved in a pedestrian accident, you should do the following to ensure you protect your legal rights and ensure:
- Immediately call the police
- Do not leave the scene of the accident until help arrives
- Gather pertinent information of any parties and/or witnesses to the accident
- Never make a statement to anyone, including the other drivers and insurance adjusters
- Call an experienced New York pedestrian accident attorney
Call For a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one was injured in a pedestrian accident and would like to schedule a complimentary consultation with an experienced New York pedestrian accident attorney, call Gersowitz, Libo & Korek, P.C. at 1-800-529-9997.