A tragic car crash in New York City on November 24th left one woman seriously injured and another man dead. The driver of a white 2001 Nissan Sentra tried to jump a light at a busy Queens intersection. He was driving east on Rockaway Boulevard when he decided to cut across several lanes of eastbound traffic to make a left turn onto Guy R. Brewer Boulevard. A woman driving east in a 2015 BMW X5 slammed into the right side doors of the Nissan. According to a witness, the BMW had a green light and the right of way.
The Nissan driver was found unconscious and later declared dead at Jamaica Hospital. The BMW driver was also taken to Jamaica Hospital with serious injuries.
5 Steps to Take After a Car Crash
Getting injured in a serious motor vehicle accident can significantly impact all aspects of your life, especially if your injuries are serious in nature. The steps you take or fail to take after a collision can also affect your ability to recover from the negligent party.
Below are five important steps to take after a car accident:
- Call 911. If you or someone you love was injured in a motor vehicle accident, you need to immediately call 911 and request the police and other emergency personnel to come to the accident scene.
- Seek medical care. Even if you think you haven’t suffered serious injuries, you should still get immediate medical attention. This is important because symptoms of certain medical conditions may not surface until days or weeks after an accident.
- Get pertinent information. It is also very important that you get important information at the scene of the accident. This includes the contact and insurance information for all parties involved, pictures of the scene of the accident, contact information of any witnesses to the accident, and any other information you think is important to determine who caused the collision.
- Photographs: Take photographs of the vehicles and the position of the vehicles after the accident.
- Follow your doctor’s orders. Following the directions of your treating physicians is also important, both for your health and the outcome of your personal injury claim.
- Contact an experienced NYC car accident attorney. An experienced attorney can properly value your claim and help you get the full compensation that you deserve from the negligent party.
At Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C., our attorneys understand the ramifications of a motor vehicle accident on the victim and their family members. We are aggressive in getting our clients the full extent of monetary compensation they are entitled to for the injuries they have suffered.
If you or a loved one was injured due to the negligent actions of another driver while riding your bicycle and would like to consult with an experienced New York car accident attorney, please call Gersowitz, Libo & Korek, P.C. at 1-800-529-9997.