Walking is one of the best ways to get around in New York. Unfortunately, the city has never been very safe for pedestrians. In fact, New York ranks as one of the country’s most dangerous areas for pedestrians. A pedestrian accident can happen anywhere, not just at an intersection. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries as a pedestrian, you may be entitled to compensation.
At Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C., our East Hampton pedestrian accident attorneys are here to help. We understand the difficulties our injured clients face. We passionately advocate on behalf of our injured clients to get them the full compensation they deserve. Our experienced legal team makes it their goal to help our clients begin the healing process and get back to their normal lives.
Leading Causes of East Hampton Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents can happen for many different reasons. Below are some common causes:
- Driver inattention. The leading cause of pedestrian accidents is driver inattention. Drivers can easily become distracted in our technology-driven world by their cell phones and other technology in their car.
- Failure to yield. New York has many sidewalks and other areas regularly used by pedestrians. This makes failure to yield by motorists a continuous issue.
- Crossing against the signal. Many pedestrians risk crossing streets against the signal, especially if they believe that they have time to do so. Unfortunately, it is easy to miscalculate time, resulting in serious accidents when a pedestrian disobeys the signal.
- Left turns. Drivers making left turns often fail to see pedestrians in a crosswalk until it is too late. Vehicles are generally designed and structured with support between the windshield and side window, which can block the motorist’s view.
Regardless of what caused your accident, our East Hampton pedestrian accident attorneys are ready to fight for your rights and get you the full compensation you deserve.
New York Statute of Limitations for Pedestrian Accidents
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you only have a limited amount of time to file a claim against the negligent party who caused the accident. Under New York law, pedestrian accident victims only have three years from the date of accident to file a personal injury claim. This makes it imperative to immediately contact an experienced East Hampton pedestrian accident to protect your legal rights.
Types of Compensation Available to Pedestrian Accident Victims
Our East Hampton pedestrian accident attorneys have a track record of getting our injured accident victims the maximum compensation they deserve for their injuries. We will fully investigate the facts of your case and take every step legally possible to protect your legal rights against the negligent party.
Some common types of compensation available in a pedestrian accident claim include:
- Medical expenses. This type of damage includes doctor’s visits, hospital bills, prescription medication, and any other type of expense related to your medical treatment.
- Loss of income. Many pedestrian accident victims can’t afford to take time off from work to recuperate from a serious injury. However, they may have no choice. You may be entitled to your loss of wages and future earning capacity.
- Emotional distress and mental trauma. Injuries are not limited to only physical pain. Getting hit by a car or other vehicle can be traumatizing and cause anxiety and distress.
- Pain and suffering. Painful injuries can seriously disrupt your daily life for long periods of time. These damages can make up for the suffering you have been put through.
- Out of pocket expenses. You may be entitled for any out of pocket expenses incurred as a result of the accident
Common Types of Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Even at relatively low speeds, pedestrian accident victims are likely to suffer serious injuries. Pedestrians do not have the luxury protection of seatbelts, airbags or helmets to protect them in an accident. As such, even the most minor collision with a vehicle can cause serious injuries, such as:
- Spinal cord damage
- Brain injuries
- Other head injuries
- Broken bones
- Burns and “road rash”
- Head and neck injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Chest injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
The legal team at Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. will work hard to obtain the maximum recovery you deserve for the injuries you have suffered. The bottom line is that we will not be satisfied until you are. We will prepare your case for settlement, but we will be ready to go to trial. We are confident that our attorney-client relationship will be productive and worthwhile. Our decades of experience and millions of dollars recovered for our injured clients is testament to how we will handle your personal injury claim.
Call an East Hampton Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you or someone you know has been injured or wrongfully killed in a pedestrian accident caused by the reckless or negligent actions of another party, an experienced East Hampton pedestrian accident attorney can help. Call Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. at 1-800-529-9997 to schedule a free, complimentary consultation with our legal team today.