The coronavirus (also referred to as COVID-19) pandemic has impacted all of our lives in different ways. Although most of the impact has been negative, one positive impact is the fact that most of us are opting to use bicycles as a mode of transportation. Although the exercise is great, there has been some downside. Bicycle injuries have significantly increased since the onset of the pandemic in March. This increase came after Mayor de Blasio urged people to bike to work, yet did not build any new protected infrastructure to handle the surge of new riders.
According to NYPD data, in just the one week after the mayor’s comment, March 9 through March 15, there were 80 bicycle injuries, an increase of 24, or 42.9 percent, compared to the same week in 2019, when there were 56 bicycle injuries.
The shocking increase in bicycle accident injuries comes as the number of people on the road overall is decreasing because more and more New Yorkers are working from home (or newly unemployed) or staying home. In fact, the same statistics from the NYPD shows that the total number of all kinds of crashes has decreased 33.1 percent compared to the same time period last year.
Only bicyclists are getting injured more. According to the NYPD, the rash of crashes involving motorists and bicyclists can be blamed on the usual suspects – driver inattention and failure to yield. Approximately 90 percent of bicycle v. car crashes involve some error on the part of the driver.
Steps to Take After a Bicycle Accident
Below are five important steps to take immediately after a bicycle accident:
- Stay at the scene of the crash.
- Check for injuries – if you are seriously injured, call 911 and go to the emergency room; if your injuries do not require immediate attention, you should follow up with a doctor as soon as possible.
- Call the police – even if they don’t come to the scene of the crash, call and file a police report.
- Exchange information with all parties involved in the bicycle crash, especially any eye witnesses.
- Contact an experienced bicycle accident attorney to help you get the full compensation that you deserve for the injuries you have suffered.
Contact Our New York Bicycle Accident Attorneys
If you have been injured or lost a loved one in a bicycle accident in New York City, you need to immediately contact an experienced New York City bicycle accident attorney to protect your legal rights and get you the full compensation that you deserve. For more information or to consult with an experienced New York City accident attorney, please call Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. at 1-646-798-1535.