The New York Police Department announced that a NYC pedestrian died from his injuries after being struck by a minivan on November 7, 2018 at around 6:30 pm. A minivan struck 52 year old Alvaro Gutierrez, as he was walking in the crosswalk on Southern Boulevard at Elsmere Place. He flew in the air and landed on the roadway. He was transported to St. Barnabas Hospital where he died the next day. The minivan driver was not charged.
Winter Season Is Deadly for Pedestrians
According to statistics, there is a drastic increase in the rate of pedestrian accidents in New York after daylight saving time ends. The months of November to March have consistently proven to be the deadliest for New York pedestrians. The city has deployed its “Dusk and Darkness” Vision Zero Safety Initiative for three years in order to improve awareness about this situation.
The city announced its “Day of Awareness” 2018 campaign in early November in Times Square. NYPD agents and DOT representative engaged with drivers, educating them about dangers of driving with lower visibility and encouraging them to respect the 25 MPH speed limit and to yield to pedestrians. The city also ran ads on twelve radio stations. The NYPD has increased its street presence and has been instructed to target motorists who are speeding, failing to yield to pedestrians, and driving under the influence.
What To Do After a Pedestrian Accident
Each year, thousands of pedestrians are injured or killed in motor vehicle collisions. You may be able to reduce the likelihood of getting hit by a car by being more vigilant while walking on the street. However, you cannot totally avoid a pedestrian involved accident because you cannot control the actions of motorists on the road. As such, it is important to know what steps to take if you or a loved one is seriously injured in a pedestrian accident.
- Call 911 and ask the police to come to the scene of the accident
- Request emergency aid if you or someone else involved in the accident is seriously injured.
- Get all pertinent information of all parties involved in the accident and any eye witnesses to the accident.
- Seek immediate medical attention, even you think your injuries are not serious – symptoms of certain medical conditions may not become apparent until days or weeks after an accident.
- Hire an experienced NYC pedestrian accident attorney, to protect your legal rights and get you the full compensation that you deserve.
Call Us Today!
If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury in a pedestrian accident that was caused by the reckless actions of another party, you may have a valid personal injury claim and be entitled to monetary compensation. For more information or to consult with one of our experienced NYC pedestrian accident attorney, please call Gersowitz Libo & Korek, P.C. at 1-800-529-9997.